Despite the insanity of the day it was a very enlightening day. The universe was definitely looking out for me and I am going to have a good rest of the year. Stay tuned!
As part of the AIGA Chicago Small Talk series, I visited Critical Mass last night and boy did I learn a lot. Here are some of the notes I took:
- They think multi-channel distribution to all creative and they have a department that deals with that.
- They do a lot of persona research, which is great for us creatives to visualize the audience.
- One of the folks in the audience asked how to keep up with the latest trends and how they do it. They responded by literally keeping up on latest sites like FWA. Similarly, they suggest that folks new to social media get immersed in it by starting small and working your way up.
- I asked about selling a challenging proposition to clients. They recommended quick prototying and clickable wireframes to get the point across. Also, you always want to continiously educate clients on what’s out there and what is the next big thing. You don’t want to wait until the presentation to show them.
- Their distribution on teams: 5-10 creatives per team, additional 5-10 developers. And that was for a small budget. It always depends, of course.
Their space is really neat. I didn’t want to take photos inside because it would freak them out, but suffice it to say it’s very collaborative with waist-high work spaces and a big, open space for gathering (which is where the presentation was held). Be sure to check out their work.